Saturday, August 13, 2005

Ecclesiastes 1:9-10

Came across this amazing sample of anti-war rhetoric. Who would say something like this?

I am not greatly taken in by America's "democracy", particularly as it is gradually vanishing under the pressure of the war. Certainly I would never fight and kill for such a phantasm. I do not greatly admire the part "my country" has played in world events. I consider that spiritually the United States has lost all meaning... I feel identified with my country in a deep sense, and want her to regain her meaning, her soul, if that is possible: but the unloading of a billion tons of bombs on Iraq won't help this forward an inch... Whereas the rest of the nation is content with calling down obloquy on Osama bin Laden's head, we regard this as superficial. Osama requires, not condemnation, but understanding. This does not mean that we like, or defend him. Personally I do not care for Osama. He is, however, "realler" than Bush, Blair, Rumsfeld, etc, in that he is the vehicle of raw historical forces, whereas they are stuffed dummies, waxwork figures, living in unreality. We do not desire a jihadist "victory"; we would not lift a finger to help either America or al-Qaeda to "win"; but there would be a profound justice, I feel, however terrible, in an al-Qaeda victory...

Oops, I tricked you. Originally for Osama was Hitler and for Iraq was Germany, etc. There is indeed nothing new under the sun. You can find the original version in a very powerful post at Harry's Place. (Hat tip to Andrew Stuttaford at the Corner).

Originally posted at Here We Stand
|